Home appliances appear more or less the same from outside, but they vary a lot when it comes to energy efficiency and cost of operating. Due to the increase in the budget, most of the families tend to cut some of their essential expenses to meet up this increase in power consumption by some of the home appliances that are used to fight the bitter cold.
In this post, you can learn about some of the easy and doable remedies that will help you to save money and energy in the long cold winter months. The tips below will not only help you save energy and stay comfortable but also would be a great money saving tip, especially during the colder months. You can also conduct the energy audit to learn about how and where to save the maximum, and consider making a more significant investment which can prove to be energy saving for a longer term.
Refrigerators are the most important home appliance used in the kitchen. This is one of the commonly used power consuming appliances in the majority of the houses. And to ensure that your fridge is energy efficient, here are some of the best tips to follow.
- The temperature must be adjusted differently for different seasons. You can easily check the setting of your refrigerator by placing a thermometer in a glass of water in the refrigerator overnight. Just check the temperature in the morning whether it is between 34 -40 degree F. But during winter it must be between 0-5 degrees F.
- During winter the freezer space often remains unused. So, keep a gap of at least one inch between the freezer and the refrigerator. You can also fill empty milk bottles and jars with water and keep them in the freezer.
- The condenser coils that are present on the underside or the back of your refrigerator must be cleaned using a vacuum cleaner during the winter.
- Check the door gasket of your freeze after a certain period to make sure that the seal in the gasket is not damaged. If damaged then replace it immediately so that the cold air of the freeze does not leak out.
- Manual defrost refrigerators are better than the automatic one. But they must be maintained properly. If the ice buildup is thicker than half an inch, then it is time to defrost the freezer and the refrigerator. This will eventually cool down your refrigerator and reduce the consumption of power.
- Before putting any food into the refrigerator allow the food to cool down completely.
The energy-saver switch of the refrigerator should be turned off during winter to save power consumption.
Most of the people tend to waste energy in the name of saving energy. It is not known to most of the people that washing dishes manually uses more energy than putting the whole load in the dishwasher. You can easily make your dishwasher more efficient during the cold winters by following some of the simple tips as discussed below.
- Instead of washing only a few utensils, wait until the dishwasher is fully loaded. Waiting for a full load cleans the dishes more efficiently.
- If you scrape the leftover food into the waste bin, you can save a huge quantity of water while using your appliance. Scrape the dirty dishes thoroughly using a brush or dry sponge so that the food particles cannot block your drain.
- It is better to use the air dry setting instead of using heat drying. This is not only an easy way to cut down the energy used to heat your dishwasher, but it also helps to prevent any damage to your dishes from the high heat. You can do this by either turning off the heat-dry setting of your machine or by opening the door of the machine after washing and then turn off the entire machine.
- Try to use fewer utensils as this might lower the number of utensils which has to be cleaned in the dishwasher.
- For the proper operation of your dishwasher make sure that the drain and the filter of the dishwasher are cleaned regularly.
- While buying a new dishwasher go for the size that fits your needs. Large dishwasher consumes more electricity and is also more expensive.
- The dishwasher with “light wash” cycle is a better option as it uses less water and works for a short period.
- Go for a dishwasher that has an internal water heater or hot water booster. It is effective as it can raise the temperature of the water inside the dishwasher.
The use of the washing machine increases greatly during the winter season. Loads of woolen and warm clothes have to be washed during the winter. So, the use of washing machine increases during winter. The following tips would help you to save energy consumption by your washing machine.
- Make sure that the clothes that have to be cleaned are dirty enough. Normal washing machine needs 40 gallons of water per washing. So, try to run your machine when it is fully loaded.
- Cold water can also clean your clothes in a better way, and using cold water can save energy as 90 percent of the energy used by your machine is used to heat the water.
- Avoid using too much detergent and try to use HE detergent for your high-efficiency machine to check the energy consumption.
- The water level and the temperature setting should be correctly matched to the size of your load. Too much water for fewer clothes leads to more energy consumption.
Due to cold weather, the dryers are also put to use more in the winter season. Since it’s consumers power to function, it’s important that you get an energy efficient dryer to save on the monthly electricity bill. Here are some helpful tips to manage the energy consumption of the dryers.
- Cleaning of the lint screen of the dryer is a must after every use. Deposition of lint reduces the efficiency of the dryer.
- The dryer takes more energy and time to dry up clothes when multiple loads are not dried up back to back.
- When buying a new dryer, look for the presence of a sensor which can automatically stop the dryer when the clothes are dry.
- Use an indoor drying rack to save energy and reduce the damage of fabric.
It’s important that in case of an electrical fault in any of your household appliances, you get it checked immediately through professional appliance repair service in your area. For Texas residents, there are some well-experienced service providers which you can look up with appliance repair in North Dallas, TX. Also before buying these home appliances mentioned above consider these important factors to get the right product for your home.
- Select the suitable size
- Look for both the price and the energy consumption
- Consider the energy star logo on the appliance
- Go through the energy guide provided and if not sure, ask the brand support.
By following these simple rules, you can reduce your utility bill and can live a healthy environment. Keeping your house warm and doing all the household chores comfortably in winter season can often put a hole in your wallet with the high price. By doing above listed tasks, you can learn to make a big impact on your usage and save energy as well as a good amount of money. Start by unplugging all the appliances when not in use, and rest will follow gradually